Chef Kate's Healthy Recipes
Green Goddess Gazpacho
- 1 cup of seedless grapes
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, rinsed and stemmed
- ½ bunch cilantro, rinsed and stemmed
- 1 green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 green onions, rough chop
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ jalepeno chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger root
- 1-2 cups white cranberry juice
- 1 green apple, peeled and chopped
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Purée all ingredients in a food processor or with a hand blender. Chill and serve immediately. If you like it spicier, add the following: cayenne pepper, curry powder or paste. Toppings: Crab meat, baked tortilla strips, chopped cucumbers, roasted chicken or just about anything that you like. This makes an elegant first course or you may serve this as a refreshing side to a salad for lunch. Either way it's a winner!
Grilled Vegetables with Quinoa
- 1 zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 yellow squash, slice ½ thick
- 3 portobello mushrooms, whole
- 1 red pepper, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 red onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup quinoa or rice, prepared to your liking as per package directions
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced (add more if you like)
- 1 lemon, juiced
Slice all of your vegetables and place in a shallow pan. Next, mix together all ingredients for the marinade. Pour marinade over your vegetables and let stand in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. While that is marinating, prepare your rice or quinoa as directed. You may substitute barley or another grain of your choice.
After marinating is complete, spray your grill well with a non stick cooking spray that does not contain corn oil. Medium heat is best. Cook vegetables until tender. Place your rice or quinoa in the center of your plate and arrange vegetables to your liking. A final garnish with either a squeeze of fresh lemons or a sprinkle of fresh herbs will complete a beautiful and healthy entrée.
If you would like to use this recipe for kabobs, cut vegetables into chunks suitable for skewers. Marinate as usual and follow the same cooking directions. If you are using wooden skewer, soak them for 30 minutes in water to prevent burning on the grill. Entrée or Appetizer - Grilled Vegetable Kabobs.
Alternate presentation: Chop vegetables into ½ cubes. Using an empty soup can (spray inside of the can with cooking spray before use; place about an inch of quinoa in the bottom-press firmly to pack it. The next layer will be chopped vegetables on top of quinoa.
Gently pack down. Continue to layer vegetables and quinoa until you reach the top. You may substitute rice, kasha or couscous.
Gently slide the can off and serve with marinara sauce and present.
Grilled Corn Salad
- 2 ears of corn, remove roasted kernels
- ½ cucumber, chopped, small dice
- 1 red jalepeño, chop small dice
- ¼ red onions, chopped, small dice
- 2 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chop well
- 2 Tablespoon white balsamic
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- (Add 1 can of rinsed black beans to pump up the protein)
Roast the ears of corn and then remove the kernels with a knife. Place in a large bowl. Chop remaining ingredients, place in bowl and mix with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This is perfect to top salmon, chicken, lobster or to have as a side to any meal. Low calorie and very healthy!